Macular Degeneration Channel
Topics & Medications
Related Channels

Eylea and Breastfeeding

The manufacturer of Eylea (aflibercept) recommends that breastfeeding women not use this drug, as it is unknown if the medicine passes through human breast milk or if it would harm a nursing infant. Because this medication is primarily used in the elderly, it is unlikely that a woman who is nursing would use Eylea.

Can Breastfeeding Women Receive Eylea?

Eylea™ (aflibercept) is a prescription medication approved for treating age-related macular degeneration and macular edema due to central retinal vein occlusion. It is injected directly into the eye. The manufacturer does not recommend that women use Eylea while breastfeeding, due to the unknown risks. Therefore, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider if you are using this drug and are breastfeeding or thinking of starting.

More Information on Eylea and Breastfeeding

No studies have been done on whether Eylea passes through breast milk in humans, probably because the drug is used to treat age-related macular degeneration, a condition that primarily affects older individuals.
You and your healthcare provider must consider the benefits of using the medication in your particular situation, the benefits of breastfeeding for your baby, and Eylea's unknown risks to your baby.

Talking With Your Healthcare Provider

You should discuss breastfeeding and Eylea use with your healthcare provider. Each woman's situation is different, and you and your healthcare provider understand your situation best. After considering what you want and expect, as well as your current health situation, the two of you can make a shared decision that is right for you.
Baby Milestones You've Never Heard Of

Eylea Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.