Macular Degeneration Channel
Topics & Medications
Quicklinks
Related Channels

Eylea Uses

Eylea is approved for treating neovascular "wet" macular degeneration and macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion. This medicine is injected directly in the eye and can help slow down and even reverse vision loss and macular damage. In some cases, a healthcare provider may recommend using Eylea "off-label," such as for the treatment of diabetic macular edema.

What Is Eylea Used For?

Eylea™ (aflibercept) is a prescription medication injected directly into the eye. It is approved for the treatment of the following conditions:
 
  • Wet age-related macular degeneration (also known as neovascular macular degeneration)
  • Macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion.
      

Using Eylea for Macular Degeneration

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD, or just macular degeneration) is a common eye disease associated with aging. It blurs the sharp, central vision you need for "straight-ahead" activities, such as reading or driving (see Macular Degeneration and Driving). The causes of macular degeneration are unknown. However, there are certain risk factors, such as smoking and obesity, which increase the likelihood of developing the disease. Macular degeneration may be genetic to some extent (see Macular Degeneration Genetics).
 
If there is a significant loss of certain light-sensing cells in the macula, people may see a small blind spot in the middle of their field of vision. Over time, the blurred spot may get bigger and darker, taking up more of your central vision. You may have difficulty reading or recognizing faces until they are very close to you.
 
There are two types of macular degeneration. About 90 percent of people with this condition have what's known as the "dry" type, and the remaining 10 percent have the "wet" type. However, wet macular degeneration accounts for 90 percent of all blindness from the disease.
 
In wet macular degeneration, new blood vessels grow behind the macula. Because these new blood vessels tend to be quite fragile, they will often leak blood and fluid under the macula. This causes rapid damage to the macula, which can lead to the loss of central vision in a short period. Wet macular degeneration symptoms include straight lines appearing crooked and a blind spot in the center of your vision.
 
With this condition, loss of central vision can occur quickly. Wet macular degeneration is a more advanced form of the disease, and is more severe than dry macular degeneration.
 
 
 

Eylea Medication Information

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.