Macular Degeneration Home > Lucentis and Pregnancy

No clinical studies have been conducted on Lucentis and pregnancy; therefore, the drug has been given a pregnancy Category C rating (meaning there are potential risks involved). Since Lucentis is used for treating a condition that generally affects older people, it is unlikely that a young woman would take the drug. However, if you are taking Lucentis and pregnancy occurs, alert your healthcare provider immediately.

Lucentis and Pregnancy: An Overview

It is unknown if Lucentis® (ranibizumab) is safe for use during pregnancy. It is a medication used for wet macular degeneration and macular edema, conditions that most likely affect older people.

Lucentis and Pregnancy Category C

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses a category system to classify the possible risks to a fetus when a specific medicine is taken during pregnancy. Pregnancy Category C is given to medicines that have not been studied in pregnant humans but that do appear to cause harm to fetuses in animal studies. Also, medicines that have not been studied in any pregnant women or animals are automatically given a pregnancy Category C rating.
Lucentis was given a pregnancy Category C rating because it has not been studied at all in any pregnant women or animals.

Lucentis and Pregnancy: Final Thoughts

If you are pregnant or are thinking of becoming pregnant while taking Lucentis, let your healthcare provider know. He or she will consider the benefits and risks of using the medication during pregnancy before making a recommendation in your particular situation.
Written by/reviewed by:
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD;
Last updated/reviewed:
List of references (click here):
Other Articles in This eMedTV Presentation

Topics & Medications


Related Channels

eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.