Macular Degeneration Home > Macular Degeneration Questions
Asking questions about macular degeneration can help you better understand the disease. If you have just been diagnosed, you may want to ask your eye care provider several macular degeneration questions concerning your diagnosis, treatment options, and recommended lifestyle changes.
Many people with macular degeneration want to take an active part in making decisions about their medical care. They want to learn all they can about macular degeneration and their treatment options.
Often, it helps to make a list of questions before an appointment. To help remember what the doctor says, patients may take notes. Some also want to have a family member or friend with them when they talk to the doctor -- to take part in the discussion, to take notes, or just to listen.
You may want to ask your doctor these questions about your diagnosis:
- What is my diagnosis?
- What caused my macular degeneration?
- Can my macular degeneration be treated?
- How will macular degeneration affect my vision, both now and in the future?
- Should I watch for any particular symptoms and notify you if they occur?
- Should I make any lifestyle changes?
You may want to ask your doctor these questions about your macular degeneration treatment:
- What is the treatment for my macular degeneration?
- When will the macular degeneration treatment start, and how long will it last?
- What are the benefits of this treatment, and how successful is it?
- What are the risks and side effects associated with this treatment?
- Are there foods, drugs, or activities I should avoid while I'm on this treatment?
- Are other treatments available?