Macular Degeneration Channel
Topics & Medications
Related Channels

Macular Degeneration Treatment

Laser Surgery
Laser surgery is another wet macular degeneration treatment option. Surgery for wet macular degeneration involves aiming a strong beam of light onto the new blood vessels to destroy them. Laser surgery is done in a doctor's office or in an eye clinic, and lasts a short period of time. Although a person may go home the same day, he or she will need to return for follow-up exams.
There are several new treatment options for wet macular degeneration that involve injecting a medicine into the eye. Macugen® (pegaptanib sodium injection) and Lucentis® (ranibizumab) are two such drugs. Abnormally high levels of a specific growth factor occur in eyes with wet macular degeneration, which promotes the growth of abnormal new blood vessels. These drug treatments block the effects of the growth factor, which helps to slow (or even reverse) vision loss and macular damage.
You will need multiple injections for this macular degeneration treatment. The eye is numbed before each injection. After the injection, you will remain in the doctor's office for a while and your eye will be monitored.


With any of these treatment options, lost vision cannot be restored. However, you shouldn't underestimate low vision rehabilitation as a macular degeneration treatment option for either type of macular degeneration (see Low Vision and Macular Degeneration).
Finally, if you have dry macular degeneration or are age 60 or older, you should have a comprehensive dilated eye exam performed at least once a year. You may also want to get an Amsler grid from your eye care professional to check your vision at home.
The Top 17 Side Effects of Chemotherapy

Treatment for Macular Degeneration

Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.