For the tablet form of PreserVision, dosage recommendations typically start at two tablets twice a day, taken with meals. The recommended dosage for the soft gels (either with or without lutein) is one soft gel twice a day. To maintain an even level of the medicine in your blood, make sure to take your PreserVision dose at the same times each day.
The dose of Ocuvite® PreserVision® that is best for you will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Whether you have trouble swallowing tablets
- Whether you smoke.
As is always the case, do not adjust your PreserVision dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
There are three different PreserVision formulations: tablets, soft gels, and soft gels with lutein (instead of beta-carotene). Soft gels may be preferred by people who have trouble swallowing tablets. Soft gels with lutein (which have no beta-carotene) may be best for smokers, since beta-carotene may increase the risk of cancer in smokers.
For the tablets, the recommended dosage is two tablets twice daily with meals. For the soft gels (either with or without lutein), the recommended dose is one soft gel twice daily.
In general, it is okay to take a multivitamin while taking PreserVision. However, high-dose, "mega" vitamin supplements are probably not recommended. Be sure your healthcare provider knows about any other medications, vitamins, or supplements you are taking.
Considerations for people taking PreserVision include the following:
- PreserVision comes in tablet or soft gel form. It is taken twice daily.
- The medication should be taken with meals.
- Take PreserVision at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medication in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken at the appropriate dose. PreserVision will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your PreserVision dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.